Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Cheesy Chops with Potatoes

Cheesy Chops with Potatoes
Courtesy Good Food Magazine

This was dinner tonight and it was so good! I was a little skeptical because the recipe called for wholegrain mustard (which I dont care for any type of mustards), but it added a deep flavor. I left the chops under the grill longer than required because I like the cheese to be really toasty, almost burnt. The cheese from the pork chops oozed down into the potatoes, which was an extra treat.
Patrick's review: Definitely an A. (he just didn't like the onions) He didn't know what I did with the mustard but it was "kicking" (in a good way). Hey- I just write what he says. LOL He also ate up all of the veggies. awwww bless his cotton socks.
Ingredients:
6-8 large potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced (I sliced them big so DH could pick them out)
splash of cider, wine, water, or stock (I used chicken stock)
3 tbsp olive oil
4 pork chops
4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
few dashes of garlic powder
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard (I substituted Dijon Mustard)
3 tbsp milk
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Toss the potatoes, onion, liquid and oil together in large flameproof casserole. Season if you like (which I did- salt, pepper, garlic powder), then bake for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes start to brown. Lay the chops on the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes more.
2. Mix the cheese, mustard and milk together. When the chops have had 10 minutes in the oven, spread the cheese mixture over them and switch the oven over to grill. Place the pan under the grill and cook for about 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the potatoes are golden and crispy.

No comments: