Sunday, April 20, 2008

Jalapeno Mustard Chicken

All I can say about this chicken is YUMMO! On my way home from dropping my nephew off last week I stopped by one of those fruit stands on the side of the highway. (I love those places!) I bought a bunch of junk snack food and a jar of jalapeno honey mustard. Well, well, well... this stuff is just about the best mustard ever! It's sweet and hot all in one bite. That night I tenderized some chicken breasts and basted a sauce using this mustard over them. It was soooo good! I served it with Salvadorean rice that I learned to make from one of my best friends. Enjoy!

Sauce:
Jalapeno honey mustard, about 5 tablespoons
Olive oil, a few drizzles
Lemon juice, zest included
salt & pepper
balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons

I can't remember exactly how much I used of each, but you can adjust to your taste. Stir in the olive oil to the mustard, then the vinegar & lemon juice & zest. Salt & pepper to taste.

I floured the chicken breast after tenderizing them. Then pan fried then in a few tablespoons of olive oil. Brush the mustard sauce on each side as you turn the chicken. I cooked the chicken for about 10 minutes. The chicken was very juicy and tender. Delish!

Salvadorean rice:
1 cup rice
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 tablespoons oil

In oil saute bell pepper, onion and tomato until onion is translucent. Add rice and cook for about 5 minutes, until the rice gets light brown. Add chicken bouillon cubes. Add water until rice is covered (I'd say about 1 1/2 cups). Salt & pepper to taste. Cover, and cook on simmer until water has evaporated. Serves around 4 peeps. Enjoy!

1 comment:

threesidesofcrazy said...

Sounds like a great week. I love chicken suiza enchiladas but only get them when we go out. I'm going to have to try your recipe.